Jun 1, 2023
If you are an often-injured runner or if you just suffered your first injury that has put you on the sidelines after years of being a durable runner you will want to listen to this story to provide you the inspiration you need!
Stefanie Flippin is a professional ultrarunner at lululemon, coach, and surgeon specializing in lower extremity injuries and has treated hundreds of runners in her career. Until it was her turn to be sidelined.
We dive into the following and so much more in this conversation:
- Why did Stefanie feel “Invincible” prior to her injury
- The emotional toll of living through grief and training hard
- Warning signs that an injury was brewing
- Stefanie’s first injury in 11 years
- How Stefanie responded to the news she had a bone stress injury
- What Stefanie did during her 8 weeks of recovery without running
- What was the turning point in her recovery
- Return to running and what it felt like
- The misconception about suffering a running injury
This conversation with Stefanie was raw, vulnerable, and human! As adult runners, we all go through low points in our life dealing with loss, feelings of regret, shame, and I hope this episode inspires you that you will come out the other side (like Stefanie did) with a newfound sense of gratitude and perspective.
I hope you enjoy listening to Stefanie’s story and apply it to your running journey
“I will always be grateful because it gave me the chance to zoom out and have humility for the fact that we’re all human, vulnerable and finite.”
Links and Resources from the show:
- Learn more about Stefanie and her coaching, writing, and speaking
- Follow Stefanie on Instagram
- Follow Stefanie on Facebook
- Read Stefanie’s column in Trail Runner Magazine
- Listen to Stefanie co-host Making Strides Podcast
- Download my free 6 Steps to Running Injury Free
Want Dr. Duane to answer your question on the podcast? Submit questions here
Want the structured strength and run plan with motivation and accountability to reach your highest running potential? Book a call and learn more about Healthy Runner coaching here!
A big thanks to the Amino Company for your support for this episode!
Want to know what I recommend as a physical therapist for my clients who are recovering from an injury? HEAL from the Amino Company!
HEAL is an amino acid, whey and creatine based formulation designed to reduce recovery times and improve physical function after injuries by accelerating muscle repair while helping maintain a healthy inflammatory response.
If you’re interested in learning more about my 100% Science-Backed Amino Acids Supplements and you would like to give perform a try, we’ve got a special offer for you where you can save 30% by using the code HEALTHYRUNNER .
Click HERE to be directed to the discount page and use the code HEALTHYRUNNER at checkout to save 30%!
Connect with Dr. Duane:
- Instagram - @sparkhealthyrunner
Listen & Subscribe: