Nov 12, 2020
Is running bad for your knees? Will I get arthritis from running?
Are you new to running or considering starting to run and you have had knee pain in the past, are you wondering if you can safely run even if you are not a “runner”?
Or have you been running for years now and are you becoming scared that you will develop arthritis?
In this episode, I had the pleasure of interviewing sports medicine expert Dr. Gene Tekmyster who may dispel some common myths about running being bad for your knees!
In this value packed episode, we covered:
- The truth about running and it being bad for your knees
- Is running bad for your joints? Is running actually bad for your knees?
- Will continuing to run cause me pain and will I develop arthritis?
- If you have had knee pain in the past, and you are not a “runner” can you still run?
- Cross-training, importance of non-specialization and multisport
- Treatment of knee arthritis including physical therapy, injections, and surgery
- Tips for the aging runner with regard to moderation, training, rest, recovery and strength training
- Return to running after knee injury or surgery
Don't Forget to check out the SPARK Healthy Runner 5 Minute Dynamic Warm Up. For the YouTube video click here.
Here are some references Dr. Tekmyster referred to in the episode:
Effects of running and walking on osteoarthritis and hip replacement risk
Why don't most runners get knee osteoarthritis? A case for per-unit-distance loads
The Association of Recreational and Competitive Running With Hip and Knee Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
Connect with Dr. Gene Tekmyster:
Check out his amazing resource here: https://southbayspinedoc.com/
Are you a dedicated runner trying to get out of the injury cycle or a frustrated runner looking to get faster?
Get stronger, run faster, and become a lifelong injury free runner with our 16 week 1-on-1 Healthy Runner Coaching Program. Get the support, structure, and accountability from experts in the health and running industry. Personalized easy to follow plans tailored to your unique needs and busy life.
If you’re interested in learning more, we’ve got a behind the scenes video tour of our coaching program and hear from many of our athletes who were struggling with the same sticking points that you are. Just head to: https://learn.sparkhealthyrunner.com/coaching
Connect with Dr. Duane:
Listen & Subscribe: